Our Lady of Sorrows has been the
center of Catholic worship and devotion in
From its beginning as a country mission church, Our Lady of Sorrows was staffed by Redemptorist priests until 1890 when Marist Fathers moved into the area. The Marists remained until 1901 and Redemptorists of Annapolis once more took over the then mission of Our Lady of Sorrows.
In 1951 the current Georgian
colonial style church was begun and dedicated in 1953 as a new
diocesan church, no longer a mission. The 1953 c
In more recent years Reverend Mark J. Logue, our current pastor, expanded the seating capacity of the church. The expanded building retained the Georgian style while almost tripling the seating. The first Mass in our present church was celebrated on Easter in 2001, and the dedication was held a week later.
Our Lady of Sorrows is dedicated
to the mission of preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the
people of southern Anne Arundel county and its many summer
visitors. Our worshiping community
Our parish goal is to look outward
and care for as many of the spiritual and physical needs of the
people of the area as we can. We are ever mindful of the needy
as we collect food each Sunday and funds to aid those who can’t
pay their bills. When there is an abundance we share with our
Our tranquil country setting and our lovely church provide us a place to refresh ourselves and re-create ourselves into the people the Lord calls us to be.